Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Current Fantasy Team Review and Issues













I'm runnin with my "Mather the Menace" crew in a standard H2H Yahoo league with 10 teams. I'm currently in first but I'm so shallow at point guard that I feel if I were to dive into my team...i'd have a head injury. I'm gonna break down my team....for my own analysis more than anything else but also for anyone who is interested and cares to comment on the strengths or maybe more usefully the weaknesses.


I'm very pleased so far with my play at SG and SF, was happy with my situation at C until my sneaky draft pick ended up on the injury list and is lost to me for 8 weeks. I've been generally unhappy with my PG and have been moving guys in and out of my roster continuously trying to ride hot hands and playing time as much as I can but I'm beginning to lose patience. I'm beginning to come to grips that I may have to part with some of my top players to fill the voids but I still need a little more convincing. Here's my team...


Point Guards

Antonio Daniels (Was) - has lots of potential. Can score...can dish....has a lot going for him but is so inconsistent for me and add to that some bum knees and a potential returning Agent Zero puts him on my ready to move list. I think I've milked this cow as much as I can.


Jamaal Tinsley (Ind) - By far my best PG...isn't that gross? He's a great assist guy when he is healthy...used to be able to score but with awful percentages and now he hardly even shoots as Danny Granger seems to take a billion shots a game now. He's been injured, unhappy, in trouble, and really...I'm just not a fan. He's definitely trade bait but who wants him right now when his value is so low.


Jason Williams (Mia) - Does anyone really want anybody on Miami right now. They are by far the worst team in the league right now and are really a good example of how not to play basketball in the NBA. Injuries...yeah..yeah...still!! J-Will has been off and on my roster a couple of times this year already...no one picks him off the FA list...i don't blame them. I figured I'd pick him up after his injury (tendinitis) and see if he pulls out some old school before being auctioned by Miami in the near future. Plus...he's going to get the minutes in Miami...they have no one else. So I'll hold on to him for a while.


Beno Udrih (Sac) - The return of Mike Bibby has really sacked Beno. He's now coming off the bench and has been brutal in the last two weeks. I'm really hoping Bibby gets moved...maybe to the Celts? and that would clear room for Udrih to start where he has shown this year that he can fit in nicely and contribute in multiple areas. I'm hopin Sacramento is going to go Talib Kweli and "move somethin".


Shooting Guards

Ray Allen (Bos) - I'm really happy with his production. Ray doesn't have to be "the guy" in Boston..they have 3 of them now. PP is the horse...KG is the everyman...and RA gets to be the pure shooter that he needs to be. Just stay off the injury list Ray and we're good to go. His FT percentage is a real nice addition for me.


Ben Gordon (Chi) - Who would have thought that coming off the bench would actually increase your scoring? Mo Pete syndrome I guess. Doesn't get a whole lot done more than scoring...a couple of rebounds...a couple of assists maybe....but having him and Ray Allen shooting free throws helps make up for a couple of my other charity stripe chuckers.


Vince Carter (NJ) - Doubles as a small forward and when anyone can play a couple of positions in fantasy ball...they become more and more valuable. VC has played above my expectations this year and is having a great year for me....great scorer...and gets a handful of rebounds, assists, and steals for me every game it seems...or at least he does when others are faltering.


Richard Hamilton (Det) - I love this guy's game...hate the face mask! I don't know that I've seen a more active guy breaking off screens since Reggie. His shooting percentage from the field is awesome and I love looking at the stats about 10 minutes into a game seeing him in double digits before anyone else. This guy has been money for me.


Linas Kleiza (Den) - A more recent addition to my team and after the start he's had...I'm glad to have him especially when K-mart or Melo or Nene, or...whoever else is out in Nuggetland. He's cooled off recently and I'm also cool with letting him go if need be to fill another spot. He's not really trade bait unless in a package since he's relatively unknown. Also has SF eligibility.


Small Forwards

Richard Jefferson (NJ) - He should have a spot on anyone's roster. He and VC are the only two scorers in NJ and he's been probably my 3rd best player this year. He ain't goin nowhere.


Shawn Marion (Phx) - Has been consistently a top 3 fantasy player for a couple of years. Not amazing in any one category but way above average in most categories. If he's playing on a Sunday and I'm down by a few stats in multiple categories...he can change the day. The guy's a fantasy stud and you trade him for anyone...well maybe King James....but wouldn't go for Kobe or KG for him...no way. PS...he's PF too.


Carmelo Anthony (Den) - He is fighting for my number one player right now. His recent injury had significant impact on my team's performance. Good thing while he was out I was playing an awful fantasy opponent. He lights it up pretty much every night and is now pulling down boards and droppin some times and playing at an elite level. Go 'Cuse!!


Tim Thomas (LAC) - Owwww my baaaaack! Fanfreakintastic! TT is an inconsistent scorer...hey...watch me drop 28 one night and the next night...ummm..I don't feel like running so I'll score 3 points. So frustrating but I don't have a whole lot of options...well..maybe I do now since he hurt his back. I tried to trade him the other day...more in a joke trade than anything else. Dude rejected the trade...what? Is Hedo Turkoglu having a good year or something? Never expected it to be accepted but stranger things have happened.



Power Forward / Center (every PF I have has dual as either SF or C)

Emeka Okafor (Cha) - They're trying to feature him in the offence in Charlotte and I'm gettin double-double numbers consistently from him and his point production has been on the rise lately. Really happy with his play and he's probably now my best center. Shoots FTs like George Costanza though.


Nazr Mohammed (Cha) - I picked him up when the trade went through sending Mike Van's boy Walter Hermann to Detroit and packing Nazr down to the Bobcats. I'm not a big fan of handcuffing pllayers like that at the same position on the same team but with Okafor's potential to play at PF and Mohammed at C...the Bobcats seem to be producing better now. I get could production from Nazr too but only has my bottom center on my roster. Not really much on the waiver wire either other than Oberto beef jerky in San Antonio...no thanks.


Al Horford - (Atl) Not bad for a rookie to establish himself in the starting rotation in a position that had lots of people fighting for it. Not a great scorer but can put a few in around the hoop but i mainly have him for his rebounding and shot blocking. Was initially ranked hight than I thought he should be but he is proving me wrong as a center.


Nick Collison (Sea) - He's an enigma for me fantasy-wise. He's not holt and cold on a night to night basis but more so on a week to week level. A couple of weeks ago he was averaging 20 and 20 over a 4 game stretch...monster numbers for him.....but then he slumps as well. It all depends on the rotation system that Seattle is trying to get working so they can win games consistently. Nothing seems to work for that...so please just use the system that keeps Collison with premier numbers....I don't really care if the Sonics win.


Andris Biedrins (GS) - I haven't even seen him play this year. He's ranked really high among centers and he has some big games. More of a rebound guy which is fine...i have plenty of scorers but I'm thinking I may try to trade him off to a team that needs a top 10 big man where I think he's just hovering around. Just gotta try to trade high.


Andrew Bynum (LAL) - My most rewarding pick of the draft. He has emerged as what I think is a top 5 center in the league this year based on his numbers. Too bad he's out with a knee injury for a while. No worries Andrew...i'll save a spot for you on the bench...no way I'm putting you out there as an FA.


So...if you take a look back...i'm thinking my biggest hole is at point guard....gotta do somethin about it. Tough to try and trade off some greatness when you have it in other positions. Wish I were the Yankees and I could simply buy the players I want...but with monopoly money or somethin. Might take a crack on the FA list and gamble on Anthony Carter from Denver or Anthony Johnson in Atlanta....but not sure if I'll bother.

Any opinions?

2 comments:

Sean François said...

1st off I'm lovin' your blog - definitely a good read.

I totally agree, you're hurting @ PG for all the individual reasons you mentioned.

This is how I'd approach it. You seem to be pretty solid at your other positions. Why not put together a package deal of some of your 'surplus categories'. Rebounds and blocks I'd assume you're near the top of your league. Take a look at the other 9 teams in your league and see who can give up a PG (or two) in a deal for some players you can afford to move and/or want to move.

Even a PG you aren't thrilled with and one of your better Fwds for a SOLID PG, or something along those lines.

You're in the 2nd half of the season, and provided this isn't a 'keeper league' make a move of two that can strengthen the categories you need help in for the stretch run.

That's my $0.50 worth :)

Anonymous said...

Mather,
I have a similar problem with my fantasy ball team; no point guards. I came to the conclusion that I was better off giving up the Assist category and focusing on the others. A nice side-effect: less turnovers.

Great blog. I enjoyed the Jump Stop entry.

B