Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Skype: My Initial Thoughts

For Christmas, my parents bought me a Live Messenger Webcam which is something I can't believe I didn't have sooner. It was mainly for my wife and I to be able to video chat with her sisters who are going to school in Ontario. We have still yet to connect online with them for a video chat but I've been using it more frequently lately. At first, I experimented using it within MSN which is painless and very user friendly. The sisters however are on Macs and the Messenger version they have doesn't support video conferencing so I investigated Skype a little while ago. I've known about Skype for years but there was no need to ever use it. Now there is. Check it out at Skype.com

Skype is a fantastic and free software program that enables video conferencing and instant messaging among numerous other features. I've used it a number of times for long distance conversations across the Atlantic or just between myself and friends within the HRM. It's also really easy to use....my only issue is that so few people use it...or so few people that I know use it. I love the idea of being able to see people when I talk to them although the process of talking to the camera as opposed to your screen takes some getting used to. The fact that it is a free program blows me away and I'm not sure why more people aren't taking advantage of it.

I rarely get to go to Ontario to see my extended family and would love some of them to get hooked up....first of all with the internet....second of all with programs like Skype. I guess they need a little more convincing or exposure on both fronts. I'm not sure why Skype hasn't been as successful as I think it should be...I know there is competition from MSN and other instant messaging applications but it is the best one I've seen so far.

How many people that are reading this use Skype? What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Sean François said...

good points! I have a Skype account that I got for school purposes in 2001/2002 but I haven't used it since probably '04/'05.
I was also shocked at the features it provided in the free version (I believe there is a "premium" version as well that you can pay for).

eBay bought Skype a few years ago now, but it hasn't seemed to take off to the extent one would expect for the functionality it provides, as you discussed in your blog.

For anyone who has a need or a want for video conferencing, I agree Skype is definitely a great option.

I guess most of my family, friends and acquaintances are fine with phone, e-mail, and txt messaging when you can't see face to face. I think most of that comes down to the varied schedules we all have based on geography and life commitments (work, family, etc.).