Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Respect in the Classroom


I believe that one of the fundamental tenets of teaching and learning is respect. That's a tough concept to teach and a very difficult quality for many to develop and display consistently. I am very proud (not in a boastful way) of the rapport that I am able to develop with 99% of the students that I see.

I don't demand respect from a student at the beginning of the year. If you do that from a position of authority, I don't know that it can called respect in its truest sense but maybe that is simply respect out of fear. Instead I like to think that what I am able to do is command respect from my students and that is done through developing a relationship with them ensuring they understand I have their best interests at heart and in mind. This is an ongoing relationship that needs to be nurtured. There are times of course when conflict occurs in a classroom and how it gets resolved is one of the keys to that respect relationship. The times of conflict actually provide opportunity for growth and development.

If you allow a confrontation to spiral in a negative manner, it becomes more difficult to rebuild that respect later. It can be like an injury that sure it can heal, but it may never be the same. If you allow a confrontation to get the better of you, feelings are hurt, resentments can build, and bitterness and spite can show up in future interactions very easily. I saw this happen recently to a teacher and student where the student overreacted, the teacher was stubborn and condescending, the situation blew up and any sign of positive relationship was gone. Who knows when, if ever, that will heal?

I don't know that I've ever lost my temper in the classroom. I don't know that I could let a situation in that setting get the better of me and I hope that never happens. What kind of example and role model would I be in that sitauation? I shudder at the thought. I'm not there to keep the kids "in line". I'm there to educate and provide an environment that is conducive to growth and personal development. I have a blast doing it too.

As professionals, as teachers, as nurturers, we need to recognize the power and influence that our position holds in the lives of young people always being aware that "little eyes are watching" to use an apt expression. Maybe a better expression is that "wide eyes are watching".


I wasn't sure what this post was going to actually end up looking like. I had some ideas runnin through my head and figured I'd bang some of it out on here. Hopefully, this is somewhat coherent and some sort of message is understood....anyone gettin it?

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Well stated. It is great to see you putting so much thought and energy into being the kind of teacher who does more than teach a subject to a student. You are working to make a lasting impact on the young people. We all had some teachers like that; they are the ones who shaped us into the people we are.

Keep it up.