Monday, January 07, 2008

So You Wanna Fight?


I just got in the door from my Master's class tonight after a long day of teaching at school. So it's been a double dose of education for me today and I'm in desperate need of some zone out time. I collapsed on the couch and flipped on the old telly to see what is on. Oh yeah, it's free preview month on Eastlink this month so I get a number of channels I don't usually get nor am I planning on getting but while it's available for free, I might as well take a peek.

Being a sports nut I have most of the sport channels available with the exception of a few like the Speed channel or the Fight Network. So as I'm flipping through these channels, I pause on the Fight channel that is showing a program called "So You Wanna Fight". I had heard of it before but never seen it so I thought I'd check it out.

Essentially the show pits regular people, men and women, of various walks of life against each other in a boxing ring. Give them a set of gloves, a mouth guard, a low-class entrance, some cheesy trainers, a drunken boisterous crowd, some corny announcers, and a bell and you've got yourself about a minute or so of brain cell destroying action. I felt less intelligent by the minute for even watching the program yet I couldn't manage to change the channel and I even felt inspired enough to post it here.

I'm not surprised that this type of programming has made its way onto the television especially when you look at what else currently gets on the air. The matches were the equivalent of Cletus the Slack-jawed Yokel vs. K-Fed and had about as much credibility as a Jerry Springer show. Absolutely ridiculous and about as classy. I can't believe that even this passed as temporary entertainment for me tonight. Talk about mind-numbing!! I'm embarrassed for myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well my boxing coach runs this thing.
its great you get people that think they can fight (street fighters) to duke out. they arent cheasy trainers , they are people that actauly box, for example Shane Sutcliff, Canadian heavy weight champ he was a corner man. They anouncers are just my coach and a buddy watching it and talking, its complteyl low budget , with a sponsor the show wuold be way better. Thers one on Tonight which i am fighting in. its on tv on America one in the states , Fight network in canada and some other station in the UK , hopefully attracting sponosors to make the show bigger and better.
dont diss the show untilll you have seen it live

Bloggopotamus said...

I'm sure it could be entertaining and like I said...I was entertained at the time. It was after the viewing that I questioned why I was entertained.

As for a diss...call it what you want. I commented on what I saw...and how I felt about what I saw. Maybe seein it live would change my opinion..but I have my doubts.